Thursday, July 22, 2010

What I did instead of painting my floors white...

I've been a bit preoccupied lately.

My thoughts, indeed my minds eye continues to see my living room and dining room with glossy white floors.

I know that glossy white floors on the main floor of a home which occupies two children, two dogs, three cats and two adults is not a good idea.

That's why I rearranged all of my living room furniture today. It kept me from renting a sander.

First I took apart the room.



Then I started moving moving things around.

Chaos! Mayhem! Squalor!

At one point I called Amy.

"You need to come over. I'm in a frenzy. IT IS NOT GOING WELL!" I said.

 Ten minutes later I had a breakthrough. I called her back.

"Don't come over! I had an epiphany and I need to focus my energy!" I said.

She was so kind.

"You are crazy, but I understand. Go finish your room." She said.

So I did.







After my living room was put back together, but while the rest of the house was groaning under the strain of such squalor, Amy called.

"I need a break from a house problem I'm having." She whined.

"Come on over!" I cried.

She came over and had some coffee and then I took advantage of her.

She was weak and vulnerable and exactly the sort of person I needed to help me out.

"Would you like to borrow my chaise?" I asked.

"I don't have a spot for it with my room set up this way and it would be so fetching on your porch." I said.

As soon as she asked for a tape measure I knew she would take it. Ten minutes later we were loading it into her car.

What a relief it was to know that I was not going to have to talk David into storing the chaise in his office!

Once Amy was suckered into taking the chaise on her way, I got busy working on the dining room. Remember my spray paint project from the other day?


I love how they came out!



Now I am done rearranging furniture and I am very satisfied and very tired.

I totally earned my chocolate.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are wonderful and creative, and I love your whimsy...cannot wait to have you come and help me rearrange my house too...Mommy

Gisele said...

Your house is so pretty! I always think that when you post pictures. My house is so (semi-)functional, but never "pretty". I have no idea how you do it. Congratulations on a successful day of keeping yourself from painting the floors. :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful..Love your site and humor..

Pom Pom said...

Wow! Everything looks gorgeous! The mirrors are perfect, aren't they? I love that tree on the wall. Your red shelf is stunning, too! You definitely earned the chocolate!

Amy. said...

I can't believe I didn't notice your new shelf-y thing on the wall--it looks great! I must have been distracted by the possibilities of my new chaise lounge. I think it looked better in your house, tho. xoxoxo

Left-Handed Housewife said...

I love your mirrors and your shelf and just about everything in this room. I think you need to do several tutorials, including one on arranging furniture and another on successful junking. I am unsuccessful at both, but feel so inspired when I look at the pictures on your blog. Help me!

xofrances

Cheryl said...

I can't remember what it looked like before! Could you send me a link to the post has the best photos of how it was before you did this?

I do love it now, but want to see what it looked like the LAST time you rearranged it.

Something's definitely watching over your crazy butt. Shiny white paint on a surface that gets walked on = ugly in less than a week.

Lisa said...

I love your house and all your color! I know how it is to get moving and really think you hate it mid move of huge heavy things! I refused to unload the hoosier and tore up the floor moving it!!! Then I HATED it. But refused to move it back. The kitchen really looks better now and more workable but I was upset about it for over a week! I miss having my mom to switch furniture with. Since we live together we pay $50 a month for storage! I know but plans are in the works for us both to move in the next year. Sorry this is so long and about me. LOVE your house and treasures!
Hugs, Lisa