Monday, March 8, 2010

Codeine is my co-pilot...

Why hello there! I bet that you are wondering where I have been.

"Has she jetted away to Paris for the weekend? Or perhaps she has been touring the vineyards of California," you wonder.

No, none of those things are true. In fact I spent the weekend in bed coughing.

I coughed on Friday. Then I coughed on Saturday. The coughing continued Sunday and in fact today involved copious amounts of coughing as well.

I thought about blogging and giving you all of the details, but really, even I thought it was boring.

Today though, today I have some bona fide news!

The children are away for a few days. They have gone to spend time with my folks on the cape where they will be hopelessly spoiled and completely loved. They left my custody at 11:00am this morning and then the fun began.

First I went to Target and coughed there and bought some more lemon zinger tea and cough drops.

Then I went to Urban Renewals and coughed there and also found a pair of Lucky Brand jeans in the next size down that I can cram my body into.

Then I went to Kohl's in search of a wide white belt to wear with my new vintage aquamarine dress but they didn't have any. Also, I coughed.

By now I was tired so I came home and got into bed with the dogs and watched Law and Order until David was done with work so that we could go out for an adult dinner.

Rebecca has called me five times to tell me that she loves me and misses me. Lily did not want to talk to me on the phone and when her sister asked if she missed me, she replied, "Not really."

Now I am home and am enjoying not arguing with children about brushing their teeth and going to bed.

Tomorrow I am going to clean the house completely uninterrupted by demands for lunch, clean clothes and flame throwers. Because that is the kind of fun an adult woman has when her children go away. She cleans in silence and thanks god for the privilege.

10 comments:

Pom Pom said...

Poor Sara! I hope the cough goes away soon. Meanwhile, lounge with the pugs. Clean slow.

Lisa said...

Sounds awesome my friend! Enjoy your day!!
Hugs, Lisa

mgster said...

HAHAHA! You gotta love that Lily!

Valley Girl said...

Miss Sara,
Get well soon!

Hope today is a brighter one for you....
Lucky jeans huh!! Lucky gal!

Valley

Anonymous said...

you aren't going back out to junk again?

Ginger said...

I think it's great to get a little adult time. I sure hope you feel better.
I had that crummy cough for awhile and finally ended up taking some Mucinex and it helped. But in the meantime I laid around in bed and watched a lot of tv. It was great.
I know the girls miss you, but how sweet that they have grandparents who take them once in awhile.

Robin said...

Sara,

I know where you are coming from. I have had the same thing and finally after 3 kinds of antibiotics I shook it. This was the worst, that coughing was very wearing for everyone in the house and then my poor husband got the same thing.

Anonymous said...

Oy...unlike obnoxious anon posters, I have but one thing to say... I love the way you effortlessly used 'flamethrowers' in this post. ;) Get better!

BTW I have similar "fun" when the hubby is out of the house and I can trap the kittens in one room. AHH, HGTV bliss...

love, Ms. TT

Anonymous said...

Oy...unlike obnoxious anon posters, I have but one thing to say... I love the way you effortlessly used 'flamethrowers' in this post. ;) Get better!

BTW I have similar "fun" when the hubby is out of the house and I can trap the kittens in one room. AHH, HGTV bliss...

love, Ms. TT

Left-Handed Housewife said...

We've had the coughing thing around here, too--it seems to go on forever, doesn't it?

Although I miss my kids when they go away, I have to say I love getting to skip the bedtime routine from time to time. It's like finding more hours in the day to do whatever I want--always fun!

frances