Monday, May 9, 2011

Hard choices...

This morning my alarm went off at 6:45 am, a decidedly ungodly hour for a woman who lists "sleeping late" as her main motivation for homeschooling. I was out of the house by 7:30 so that I could fetch my pal Heather and take her to the hospital for hip replacement surgery. She is shockingly young for this sort of surgery, yet her hips have ceased to function as ball joints and needed to be replaced.

We enjoyed a lovely ride to the hospital imagining all of the delicious drugs she would get to enjoy as part of her bionic convalescence. I was back in my town by 8:30 so I swung by the pediatricians office for a copy of Rebecca's medical forms and then I went to CVS for assorted sundries. I was back home by 9:15, a time of the day when I can most often be found laying in bed and checking my emails on my iphone.

Once home I hollered to the children to get downstairs, it was time for school! We did two hours of school work, a load of laundry and the dishwasher was emptied- all by 11:30! Incredible!

My productivity did not end there! I took Rebecca to dance class, returned my very, shamefully overdue library books, dropped off two bags of clothing rejects at goodwill, did more school work with Lily, did more laundry, cleaned out the fridge, cleaned out the pantry, organized my batteries and screwdrivers and made a proper dinner.

I think that I have some strange sort of post wardrobe, early morning, PMS, pollen overdose induced OCD. There was a moment at about 6:30 pm when I contemplated putting a fresh coat of paint on the dining room table, but I felt too much like a productivity junkie to do it.

It bothers me that the key to getting more done might be getting up early. That's just not a reality in which I want to live.  It's like the time I went on a walk wearing sneakers. They were so ugly, and yet so bouncy! My feet were happy, but my eyes recoiled at the sight of my sneaker clad feet.

These are the unhappy choices with which we are faced. Tired and productive? Comfortable but ugly?

I'll be sleeping until 8:30 tomorrow and wearing flip flops. Baby steps people, baby steps.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

lol!!! YOu are just going to have to take it slow it will all work out! I love flip flops but I cannot walk in them! I have to have comfortable shoes!! HAVE TO! I watched a girl walk down the sidewalk barefoot today and I thought I never did that! Hated it as a child even! Now sandals and flip flops I lived for ;)
Hope you get your table painted!
Hugs, Lisa

Lynn said...

Oh you are so funny! I was very productive yesterday too:) Today I feel like I might have died - LOL!!