Saturday, January 9, 2010

Dabbling in OCD...

Sometime I get in a particular mood which causes me to get very cranky about things. This crankiness most clearly manifests itself in an urge to reorganize things. Sometimes it's the pantry or the medicine cabinet. Today it was craft supplies.

A big part of the problem is that Rebecca's sewing and craft supplies had found themselves shoved into every single container in her room. Unfortunately this meant that we had to empty all of those containers onto Rebecca's bed and sort through all of her things. This led to organizing the books on her shelf and thinning out the stuffed animal herd.

Once I had collected all of the embroidery thread, felt, glue sticks, sewing needles and ribbons I took them downstairs and got to work. It was very soothing.

Remember this awesome cubbyhole thing I found on the curb this fall?



It has a new life.





Come spring I'll paint it white. I'd love to find some boxes that would fit in perfectly. I could cover them in pretty paper. Maybe oatmeal boxes are the right sizes... I'll have to grocery shop with an eye on product, price and box size!

The real question is how long the children will obey my new reign of craft organization tyranny. Stay tuned!

6 comments:

Julie said...

Is that the regular size Gladware? I do like the see-through concept. Although OCD would want you to have all the boxes the same.

Cheryl said...

Thinning the stuffed animal herd! Nice.

I too like the devil-may-care look of the clear boxes, clear jars, and no boxes at all. May help the whole reign of organizational tyranny if R & L can see where things belong.

Personally, I have the same problem with clothes in drawers. If I can't see them, I don't own them. Oh god, I'm 9 again.

Pom Pom said...

When I was a kid we had Camp Fire Girls at the same house every week. The leader's daughter (brilliant, National Merit Scholar, smarter than all of us) had the funniest bedroom. She had shelves and shelves of labeled nature stuff. I think her mother wished for a stuffed animal herd to inhabit all the shelfy loveliness, but Merri Ann was always a scientist! Sounds like Rebecca is a true ARTIST with an efficient, OCD personal assistant - NICE!

sarah said...

I love the cubby! Please post pictures when you get it painted (eventually.) I'm getting ready to wander upstairs and tackle the classroom...for the second time in two weeks. It's endless!

Lisa said...

Oh I so understand! Nothing better when you are cranky than to redo the organization!! I have been known to get up in the middle of the night and redo my closets. When I stress over where something is I cannot sleep. I have OCD and ADD so I have to have things where they go or I LOOSE IT! I hope your girls enjoy how easy it is to use it all now. I love those cubbies!!
Hugs, Lisa

Anonymous said...

Hi thr, thanx a lot for this blog -- This was what I was looking for.