Saturday, January 23, 2010

The perfect day...

Today was like a dream.

First, the children allowed me to sleep until 9:30 this morning. It turns out that after ten hours of sleep I am absolutely delightful. I woke up feeling happy and refreshed. Who knew? This sleep- it is like a drug!

After I woke up I toddled downstairs to find that my children were playing Cafe. Cafe entails Lily sitting at the kitchen island while Rebecca puts on a fancy apron and prepares Lily waffles with syrup and whipped cream. They were being happy and polite to each other.

After recovering from the shock I showered and got dressed and announced to the children that we would go to the library. The children sung my praises! Books! Free books! How wonderful!

At the library the children picked out armloads of books, found a corner and began to read. I left them in the children's section and made my way to the murder mystery section where on the advice of my cousin Cheryl I picked out a Robert B. Parker novel and a few Jonathan Kellermen's.

Once home from the library the children sat themselves in front of the fire and proceeded to read for the next four hours.

The quiet was heavenly. It was like a miracle and a dream and my birthday all wrapped into one. While they read I tidied, caught up on the laundry and washed the kitchen floor.

We just had dinner and now the children are in their rooms reading again.

As soon as I am done blogging guess what I am going to do? Get in bed and read until bedtime.

The only thing better than a stack of new books is my children with a stack of new books.

If I could just teach the pugs to read...

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

Sounds like a wonderful day. I hope you picked up The Godwulf Manuscript so you can read them in order. The early stuff is by far the best. Enjoy!

Karen said...

Did you hear that Robert Parker died this week? Andy is a huge fan and we own ALL of his books -- Spenser as well as Jesse Stone and other miscellaneous characters.

Pom Pom said...

My husband and I were just talking about sleep this morning. Every decade looks a little different when it comes to sleep. Now, I view sleep as SO time consuming and it used to be such a treasured commodity.

Anonymous said...

I heart the library! xo Mari