Sunday, June 14, 2009

I leave the house.




Many of you know that I am a homebody. Some might even call me a recluse. I wouldn't object. I love being home.

Sometimes, however, I find myself being persuaded to leave my hobbit hole and venture out into the world. Last night was that night.

Last night a sitter was hired, a strapless push-up bra was put on and David and I went out to see the Ultrasonic Rock Orchestra. They are an 18 piece rock and roll extravaganza. They play great songs from The Who, The Beatles, Queen, Led Zeppelin, and Fleetwood Mac.



I wish that they played Pink Floyd because I am still not over Pink Floyd. Michael Patterson got me hooked when I was 14, but that is another story.

The point of this story is that these guys brought down the house. They performed at the Stuart Street Playhouse which has been transformed, creating a mini-stadium feel. These guys are hardcore performers and their passion extends into every aspect of the show. The lights and fog create a rock and roll atmosphere, but it's the amount of talent on the stage that just had my jaw on the floor. There were at least eight different singers, each having their own musical specialty. Their version of Major Tom conveyed a sadness that I had never really grasped before and their version of Zeppelin's Black Dog had me rockin' out in the aisle.

I loved it, but David lost his mind. That man loves to dance, and readers, he danced like a wild man last night. By the time we left he was a sweating limping mess. Here he is before he got sweaty. So yummy.


After the show we hung out with this man.

His name is Alan Ware. He's the drummer and co-producer of the show. He's English and has one of those English accents that you just want to run away with. He's a bit of a rapscallion. He has a beautiful wife and three gorgeous boys who stayed up to watch. I bet those boys were cranky today. They were probably cranky until they heard Alan's accent and were calmed by its rascally sweetness.

There are only two more shows in Boston, June 20th and 27th. I liked that it started at 8pm and wrapped at 10:30. I'm too old to go see shows that don't start until 11pm. You should go see it- would make a great Father's Day gift for any classic rock loving dads out there. The quality will astound you and possibly make your ears ring if like me you decide that you are too cool for ear plugs. But that too, is another story.

No comments: